Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reuniting with his Kin (A Long one)

5 posters

Go down

Reuniting with his Kin (A Long one) Empty Reuniting with his Kin (A Long one)

Post  Tokken Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:54 pm

I was there the day he fell. I saw it with my own eyes. There had been talk of his fury, but to see it first hand left me in awe. I was filled with awe and horror in equal measure. He became angelic yet terrifying in aspect, a true avatar of the light.

Strathholme lay before them, the city that had spawned the Paladins that the Order modeled themselves on – now it was infected with the Undead and overzealous Scarlets.

Tokken paced restlessly before the men assigned to him, running fingers through the once blonde beard now streaked with grey. Leadership had become easier since his appointment to the council, although this part was the hardest – the last few moments before the assault. He let his mind wander, seeking a moments respite from the burden of his leadership. He thought of his childhood, of his father leading the wagon train to sell the Ironbrand wares. Of his life with the order, that saw him grow from a mere youth filled with fury, to the older more tempered captain he was now.

His line was cut now. After the massacre of his family and their bondsmen all he had wanted was vengeance, to smite those that had ended that humble line but he was a Paladin now, one of rank not the berserker he once was. The Light, the Order and age had tempered him somewhat, cooled his rage from the all consuming typhoon it was to a glowing blade of fury that could we wielded rather than unleashed. Tokken was all that remained of the Ironbrand and by the Light he would see the name honored whatever the cost.

Gathering himself, Tokken turned his thoughts back to the assault. Had he planned it correctly? The thought of losing brothers because of his mistakes was a constant presence in his mind. He steeled himself; he had done all he could. He was an able leader; he had proven himself time and time again across the Plaguelands and more recently in Northrend. This was the time for blood to be spilt, the enemies or his. When it came down to it, fate would make its decision, if he had to lose every brother in his command to free the captives and cleanse the city he would. The Light would guide them.

Paladins of the Order made their final preparations, the men and women whose lives he would now order them to risk. He rubbed absently at the scars he had suffered during his escape before he joined the Order, the first time he had resigned himself to fate, to his death.

‘My helmet, please Balamir.’ Tokken donned it, standing before his brothers he tried to remember what had been said when he was but a neophyte on an occasion such as this. It would come to him, the inclination, the turn of phrase he was a reluctant leader, but that didn’t mean he wasn’t a capable one.

‘Brothers and Sisters’ Tokken’s voice rang out across the assembled Paladins, they melted seamlessly into formation. the Order trained its initiates well.

‘Today we assault Stratholme’ a sweeping gesture encompassed the city that stood behind him. Initiates stirred some cheered bringing a grin to Tokken’s face.

‘We venture into the city to seek out the compound of the Scarlets. Inside are innocents, captured and accused of taint that isn’t present. The Scarlets would see these innocents tortured and killed. I will not allow this!’

‘We can not allow this!’ Tokken faced his assembled men, his eyes burned with rage.

‘Today we free these captives or we die trying! The Scarlets must know we will not stand for this. With that he turned, hefting his trademark Axe, and led the charge.

‘COME BROTHERS! GLORY AWAITS!’

‘FOR ILLUMINATION!’

They had smashed through the undead filth, driving towards the Scarlet foothold, a beacon of light amongst the darkness of the dread-city Stratholme. Tokken hefted his axe onto his shoulders and called to the men:

‘That brothers, is where the Scarlets hold the innocents we seek.’ He gestured with his free hand.

‘Pallios, Balamir and Jyggell you’re with me, we strike into the heart of them. Krieghund, see this square is held – let no one set foot in or out of it until we return.’

With a grim nod, Krieghund spurred his gryphon into flight, bellowing commands to the assembled initiates, posting them to cover the streets that approached. He circled vigilantly overhead overseeing the defensive measures.

Flanked by the brothers Tokken had called forth, he stood enveloped in his black cloak watching them prepare. Pallios tightened straps securing his shield, Balamir cleaned scourge-filth from his blade, and Jyggell stood unmoving, eyes staring and lips moving soundlessly. Feeling Tokken’s eyes fall upon him, he woke from his reverie with a start.

‘Be on guard brother, there are pressing matters at hand’ Tokken sneered. With a shudder Jyggell turned and made a show of readying himself.

Tokken pondered bringing another initiate to replace Jyggell, one of Krieghund’s Gryphon riders perhaps? Alas, to send the boy back to the ranks now would be too large a slight on his reputation, let him come; he would be more aware now. Unhooking the curved ram’s horn from his belt Tokken remembered the day he was handed it by the council to signify his promotion to Line Captain, so long ago. With a sigh Tokken put his memories behind him, perhaps it wasn’t just Jyggell that needed to be on guard.

A single, strong blast from the horn echoed around the square.

‘Hear me! I am Tokken Ironbrand, Line Captain of this Order. Release the captives or I shall see them released by force’

Their answer came – a flaming ball of magical energy arcing out of the keep and exploding several yards in front of him. Pallios lifted his shield as the paving was torn asunder blocking the flying masonry.

Tokken shrugged.

‘As you wish.’

Last edited by Tokken on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tokken
Tokken
Knight Captain
Knight Captain

Back to top Go down

Reuniting with his Kin (A Long one) Empty Re: Reuniting with his Kin (A Long one)

Post  Tokken Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:57 pm

Being forced to bring arms against the Scarlets always filled Tokken with disappointment, a shame they fell so far from how the order operated. The two factions could have found common ground were it not for their blind zealously. Zealousness that had seen the innocents Tokken had come to save rendered limb from limb and tortured for information they did not possess. Such waste of life irked him, these men and women had families, perhaps children they would leave orphaned. Tokken paced the corridor outside the interrogation rooms, his anger swelling. ‘Burn it’ he whispered.

‘What my lord?’ Balamir stepped forward from where the rest of the party had been seated, trying to eat and rest. None of them felt much like it after what they had seen.

‘BURN IT! Burn this whole light forsaken place! I will see whoever commands this outpost burnt with it!’ Tokken bellowed smashing a near by cabinet to splinters.

‘Balamir what is taking so long with that door? Surely a simple lock is not going to stop you from making the Scarlets pay for the innocents harmed today?’

Balamir redoubled his efforts to break the locks holding the two wooden doors shut, mindful of Tokken’s escalating fury.

‘Jyggell, assist him’

The young initiate sat, curled up hugging his knees, staring blankly as before.

‘Light damn you boy! Pull yourself together!’ Tokken glared at the youthful Paladin, striding towards him. Jyggell started, he stumbled to his feet, sweating profusely. With a shove Tokken sent boy flying towards the door, splintering the wood around the locks and breaking the doors apart.

The room was empty, dark and empty, only the smell of decay and dust filled it. Tokken strode in stepping over Jyggell, Balamir and Pallios quick to follow him illuminating all but the darkest corners of the room with torches. Nothing.

Tokken sat heavily, he was tired, tired and getting older. He had no idea how the old bastard Vaknor kept going.

‘Curses! This is just a mausoleum!’ Tokken exclaimed, hurling a hunk of stone.

‘No doubt whoever commanded this garrison is long gone while you were dallying with the locks!’ he stood wheeling on Balamir, the youth jerked in surprise and Tokken’s fury cooled it wasn’t the boys fault, getting into an empty tomb quicker would not have changed matters.

‘Don’t be so sure Paladin’

Balamir’s eyes widened in fear, he knew that voice.

‘You were always easy to manipulate Ironbrand, your fury blinding you. This time you will not escape, you will be reunited with the kin you miss so dearly’

Jyggell let out a strangled, guttural cry, rushing forward into the tomb and falling to his knees. The other Paladins watched in horror as the boy clawed at his eyes and face, Pallios stepped forward struggling to wrestle Jyggell’s hands away.

‘It… it hurts, get it… out of MEEEEEE!’ Jyggell wailed, his body twisting as convulsions shook him. A dull scraping sounded from the edges of the room, growing in volume. Sarcophagi burst open, spilling filth from the crypts below, moaning shifting forms burst forth, shambling towards the Paladins.

‘Scourge!’ Balamir shouted, trying to lift Jyggell to his feet.

‘Paladins! We are leaving! Get these doors closed and head back to the square!’ Tokken bellowed, with a curse and gesture he exploded a shambling form slowing the scourge advance.

‘Leave him, he is lost to us’ Pallios, pulled Balamir towards the door.

‘Wait!’ Krieghund pulled his gryphon to a hovering halt above the square.

‘What is it sir? All fronts are clear’ one of the accompanying gryphon riders replied.

Two sharp blasts of a horn rang out from the garrison.

‘It’s Tokken’s Horn!’ With a dive he sent his gryphon hurtling towards the square, jumping from the saddle even before it landed. He ran towards the garrison, calling for the nearest group of Paladins to follow him. They leapt up the stairs, taking them several at a time, rushing for the doors, the Horn of command is usually only used to marshal troops before a battle, but occasionally it is used to signal for help.

Tokken rushed at the head of the remaining two Paladins, a horde of scourge rushing behind them. Krieghhund and his accompanying Paladins rushed to their aid. With bolts of holy light and swift weapon blows the horde was slowed.

‘We need to get these gates shut!’

‘Yes captain! You heard him brothers, get them shut!’ Krieghund gestured to three Paladins and they rushed to comply.

The gates began to swing shut slowly as a new form pushed its way from the back, the horde parting before it. Jyggell stumbled through the crown, jabbering and mumbling over the sounds of the surrounding scourge, his eyes missing and skin torn.

‘He lives!’ Pallios exclaimed.

A dark light began to swell from within the former brother, glowing from his eye sockets and streaming from his screaming mouth, what remained of Jyggell spread its arms, twisting and growing. The form hunched over, taking on a feral aspect.

‘Get this damn gate closed! NOW’

Tokken
Tokken
Knight Captain
Knight Captain

Back to top Go down

Reuniting with his Kin (A Long one) Empty Re: Reuniting with his Kin (A Long one)

Post  Tokken Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:59 pm

The gates had held so far, but the Paladins could hear the filth behind it, pushing and forcing at its fastness.

‘Krieghund, I want you and you gryphon riders to head to the Cathedral. Call on the might of the order. I need more men.’ Tokken spoke calmly as he paced.

‘Yes captain’ He whistled, drawing his gryphon near.

‘Take Balamir with you. Have him tell the council of what happened here, they should know the full extent of the crimes committed. I will hold this gate until reinforcements reach us’

Balamir clumsily mounted one of the waiting gryphons, Krieghund couldn’t help but grin. ‘First time Lad?’

With a whisper Tokken called Krieghund back. ‘Go fast Brother, I don’t expect the gates to hold long. If… if anything should happen, take this with you.’ Tokken held the Horn of Command.

‘Captain, I cannot take this. I will return before the gates break. You need it; the troops expect its call.’ The two Paladins shared a wolfish grin and shook in the warriors grip Krieghund favored, clasping each others wrists.

Tokken knew the gates wouldn’t hold. He knew Krieghund knew too. It suited him fine, fate had its plan. One way or another he would make sure this horde didn’t spill out into the Plaguelands.

‘What happened to him?’ Pallios asked.

‘He was possessed’ Tokken said flatly. ‘I will see him exorcised’.

The assembled Order watched the gates. They had sustained the battering so far, but signs of strain could be seen and the cracking was getting louder. The younger Paladins shifted uncomfortably, some had never seen the scourge first hand. Tokken stood at their head, watching the gates. His mind wandered as it did at times like this. The situation was dire, even at the speed Krieghund’s Gryphon riders travelled it would take days for a full reinforcement to arrive. The gates would maybe hold a few more hours at most, and then this force of Paladins would have to hold against the tide.

He turned to the Order. He saw the younger Paladin’s resolve strengthen under his gaze. ‘Brothers, this is a waiting game. Those gates WILL break, and the filth contained within WILL spill out onto us that much is certain. What is not certain is our fate, I will not lie to you the odds are stacked against us.’

Paladins exchanged gazes, a dull murmur passed through them.

‘Before the gates break I will send most of you from this place. Pallios! You will lead, the men back to Lights Hope where you will await our reinforcement. I, along with any one who wishes to stay will hold this filth back until you return’

Tokken sat, his cloak wrapped around him in a circle of Paladins. Twenty had elected to stay; most were older men who had lived their lives. He had had to deny the requests of some younger initiates to stay. There was no glory in having their lives cut short so soon.

The gates held longer than he expected, darkness had begun to draw in and the men had lit a fire. He stared into the flames, wondering how far Krieghund had got towards Stormwind and the cathedral. A sad smile split his face when he thought of the city he called home now, the Order had become his new family. It comforted him to know that it unlike his lineage would live on after him. Getting to his feet, he walked away from the light of the fire, towards the gates. The beating and shuffling could still be heard from behind it, they were relentless. The doors had begun to bow out now. It wouldn’t be long.

His hand wandered to the scars on his face as they often did in times like this and he closed his eyes. This was it, he had longed for it for so long, and he imagined he would feel different when finally the hour of his death was at hand. He imagined he would feel excitement, to be reunited with his kin. He just felt tired, tired of the war. Things had changed, the death of Cartheron weighed heavy on the council, no word had come from Azeem in some time – the order needed new life and new vitality. He should have made Krieghund take the Horn earlier. Alas, what had happened had happened and he was well on his way to Stormwind by now.

Opening his eyes he turned to return to the fire and the comradeship of his brothers. A hooded figure stood before him - surely one of the Paladins come to warn him of the gates condition, he could hear they were barely holding. They spoke, calming and musical:

Your kin awaits Tokken. But your time is not yet. Your work here is not done. You must pass the Horn onwards as it was passed onto you.
‘To who? My choice of successor is far from here’

Have faith. Now go brother, the gates have broken.

Krieghund hadn’t gone to Stormwind, he had raced to Hammerfall a squad of his Gryphon riders were stationed there before heading onto the new offensive on Northrend. Thankfully they hadn’t left yet. After sending Balamir on to Stormwind, Krieghund led the remaining squad members back to Stratholme.

Last edited by Tokken on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tokken
Tokken
Knight Captain
Knight Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Tokken Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:01 pm

Pallios marched at the head of the Order Column headed for Lights Hope. Their mood was sullen, he had all but come to blows with Tokken wishing to stay and fight, alas Tokken had command and had been clear with his orders. Suddenly he paused, the column coming to a halt behind him. Above them! Order gryphon riders!

Swooping low, Krieghund landed with a skid.

‘Pallios! I’m too late? He is lost?’

‘No. He sent us to await reinforcement at Lights Hope, then to return with them to relieve Tokken.’

‘The gates won’t hold that long!’ Krieghund cried as he soared up towards the other riders.

‘Onwards!’

A single strong blast of a horn was carried on the wind.

The gates had broken, and the scourge had come flooding out. Paladins had fallen one by one taking a heavy toll with them. Eventually the tide slowed, and then came what had been Jyggell. Eventually only Tokken and the thing remained.

Tokken stood alone, he was bleeding from cuts too numerous to mention his armour rent and torn. But still he stood. He had faith. He would see this beast fall, then he would go to his kin.

The thing advanced on misshapen legs, growling deep in its throat, apparently growing is size as it approached. Vestiges of Jyggell’s armour and skin hung from it. Its face contorted, it was trying to speak from a mouth not designed for human words. ‘Your friend… is in…. here Tokken. He cries...for… a … savior.’

Tokken leapt with a roar, his righteous fury became manifest. Wings of light bore him aloft, his armour glowing. With a gesture he sent spears of light arcing towards the man-beast before hitting home with a double handed axe swing. The beast howled in pain, its deformed hands grasping Tokken’s chest and crushing, armour buckled and fractured exposing torn flesh beneath, from these tears burst forth light, burning the beast. Grimacing in pain Tokken swung again with the axe, severing one of the things arms. The beast released him to recoil and grasp at what remained of its arm. Tokken plummeted to the pavement, cracking the stone slabs beneath him.

Krieghund heard the growl of the beast and Tokken’s roar of reply as he soared over the walls of the damned city pushing towards the fight. A flash of light pierced the darkness from behind the next building; Krieghund dived towards it, readying a spear.

The scene he saw filled him with dread, the square was plastered in gore and littered with bodies. He saw Tokken unfurl wings of light and swoop towards the beast that had been Jyggell. Burning arcs of light fired from Tokken burning the beast where they landed. He saw the beast catch Tokken, tearing his armour only to be burnt with the light that flowed molten from the Captains wounds. Another swing of his axe cost the beast an arm, sending Tokken falling to the pavement. He led still and the beast advanced.

‘No!’ Cried Krieghund.

‘FOR ILLUMINATION!’

He cast the spear towards the beast, his fury imbuing it with a fiery glow. The spear flew illuminating the square, singing with its passage through the air. Striking home in the beast’s neck, it tried to scream and fell backwards. Krieghund jumped from the saddle, sword in hand, he landed hard on the chest of the beast. His sword punctured the sickly flesh, cutting bone and sinew, splitting the beast asunder. Krieghund roared and cut the heart from the monster.

Vaknor stood in front of seated initiates discussing the Lights healing powers.

‘Pay attention boy, what are you looking at’ Vaknor shook his staff at a pupil who had found something more interesting at the door, looking for himself he saw what had the youths attention. Someone was trying to gain access to the chamber, the initiates on guard barring the way.

‘Who disturbs my seminar?!’

Initiates were roughly pushed aside and a Paladin stepped through, be was carrying a burden. It was another brother. Vaknor stepped down and peered close.

‘Krieghund is that you boy?’

‘I did not recognize him sire’ one of the initiates protested.

‘It is Tokken! He still breathes! Help him!’ Krieghund staggered in, he was covered in gore. Tokken was in a far worse state, bearly clinging to life, ragged breaths bearly moved his chest. Vaknor could see he had suffered great wounds.

Krieghund sat outside Vaknor’s chamber anxiously awaiting news of his Captain. He played absently with the Horn of Command Tokken had placed in his hand as he helped him to the Gryphon. It had been hours since Vaknor had cleared his chamber and no one had been allowed entry. People had come and sat with him, hoping for news but duties called them away. Only he remained now.

The door creaked open and Vaknor stepped out, leaning heavily on his staff. Krieghund jumped to his feet, but he new from the look of the old Chaplain the news was bad.

Vaknor simply shook his head.

The cathedral square was unusually quiet; Krieghund descended the stairs, his armour, face and tabard still streaked with gore. He stood before the fountain, raised the horn to his lips.

Three long keening horn blasts rang across Stormwind.
Tokken
Tokken
Knight Captain
Knight Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Tokken Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:04 pm

So the death of Tokken. This is a carry on/modification from the old story i wrote.

Pallios was portrayed in this story when he was a lowbie - sorry if i got his character wrong.

The formatting got a bit messed up when i pasted it over - but meh, i'm too lazy to fix it right now.
Tokken
Tokken
Knight Captain
Knight Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Cartheron Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:33 am

awesome mate, i fucken love it
and i love how the order do not die easy at all...but weirdly all seem to welcome it somehow

immense story mate
Cartheron
Cartheron
Loremaster
Loremaster

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Scarshield+Legion&

Back to top Go down

Post  Azeem Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:14 am

Completely agree with Carth. That story is epic mate. It really is.

I like how Azeem has gone missing after Carth's death. That big bastard never did cope well with losing brothers.
Azeem
Azeem
Scripture Militant
Scripture Militant

Back to top Go down

Post  Macloren Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:37 am

well, what can I say? wow. that was something else. I actualy had a lump in my throught. Crying or Very sad
Macloren
Macloren
Lord Militant
Lord Militant

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Scarshield+Legion&

Back to top Go down

Post  Evangelist Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:34 am

mate that was amazing i want you to do another one write now i will a little emotional after that.
Evangelist
Evangelist
Order Champion
Order Champion

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum